Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Blog Challenge - When You First Realized That You Were Pregnant

Here's the latest forum Blog Challenge - This week courtesy of Maricar:

I think that most of us are moms already (or pregnant!) .... so here's my challenge:

Tell us about the day you found out your were pregnant with your first born. Where were you? How many sticks did you pee on before telling someone? Who did you tell first? What was going through your head? C'mon - retell the story. (Think of this blog as brainstorming for the journaling for a great "birth story" layout - if you haven't already done one.)




Paul and I had been married for 6 years before we started "trying" to get pregnant, it was Thanksgiving of 2002. It just finally seemed like the "right time" to start trying. So I got off of the pill at that time. Six months later, however I still wasn't pregnant.

Most every summer my best girlfriend Miffa comes to town for one glorious week. The night she came into town we went to Angie and Ronnie's house for a BBQ. We barely stayed a few hours before I HAD to get out of the heat and lay down. I just assumed it was that - the heat. For those of you here that Summer, you'll remember just how hot it was.

That night Miffa and I stayed up and talked about our trying to pregnant. We hadn't discussed that fact that we were "trying" with anyone else, so this was pretty big news. I was so frustrated by then and beginning to think that we'd never get pregnant. Had I been on the pill "too long"? Had Paul been exposed to too much radiation in the Navy? Was there something else?

The next morning it was just Miffa and I in the house. And I felt AWFUL. Something inside me said, "just maybe...." I had EPT's on hand and I used one. One line, wait.....two lines. A streak of absolute and total terror ran through me. No matter how much you want to be pregnant, at that first moment I think everyone gets that "terror streak".



I walked into the the guest room where Miffa was. She said I was stark white and thought I was going to pass out. There were tears streaming down my face and I was just standing there. With fear in her own voice she askes me, "What is wrong?!"

I meekly hold up the EPT test, and stutter, "I'm pppppregnant........" She jumps up totally over-joyed and squeezes me. It was at that moment I think I started to breathe again and the joy filled me. We both cried - ok we bawled. And I was so thankful to share THAT moment with my best-friend whom I've know since age 15.

After that Miffa and I plotted how we would tell Paul the news. We went to store and bought a huge bouquet of balloons, with baby themes. I called Paul and had him come outside of his work and met him with the bouquet and tears in my eyes and toll him he's be a Daddy. Well he was hit by the shock factor too and dumbstruck. But by the time he made it home that day he was as over-joyed as I was!

It was a difficult pregnancy to say the least, but so worth it.

6 comments:

Vera said...

I read your blog! love that picture of Trinity!

Shawn said...

I love your pics...she is so sweet! Thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

Awe you look so cute pregnant! Look at that long hair!

Lovely reading about your pregnant story. Everybodies are so different but yet the same! KWIM?

SevenHappyScrappers said...

Oh, Micki - she was so beautiful! (She still is, of course) This pic is awesome!

Annette said...

Great story Micki. I can just picture you there with your EPT!

Micki said...

Thanks girls!