Friday, September 05, 2008

Censorship Sucks

Anyone who knows me knows beyond a shadow of a doubt knows my feelings on censorship. Its not only unethical, but un-American. I may not be a card-carrying member of the ACLU but it sure makes me want to be one. Currently on a message board that I frequent there has been some VERY heavy handed and partisan tactics used by its moderators. Threads are disappearing at an alarming rate and members are being targeted. If all threads that were OT were being removed from the board that would be one thing. However, this is not the case. Instead all the threads about religion, menopause, what so and so's kid did today and the other day are still there for all to see. Instead threads about politics or those that directly criticize Admin's behavior are being deleted.

I said this earlier and it bears repetition.

I don't think the hypocrisy is that hard to see.

I've said it before and it bears repeating. Politics and religion are not tabu subjects for intelligent people. Talking rationally about these subjects is not only healthy and normal, but it can help everyone to understand each other so much better. I may never agree with what you think, but to know why you think it can make the difference in understanding you; and vice versa. Through free discussion ideas are born, pre-conceived notions dispelled, critical thinking is encouraged.

If rational and intelligent discussion of these subjects were encouraged instead of being seeing as palls upon society, maybe people would be able to speak more fluently on such matters without being so belligerent? Instead ideas are suffocated and the emotions behind those ideas can erupt.

This is what galls me (and others) about the threads being pulled recently. Is that there is no true rhyme or reason to it. Its all by whim. Last week it was over M's coupons. However you don't see them being hotly discussed and pulled previously or currently do you? There have been threads about many topics that I have not agreed with being put up here, but did those get pulled? No. The censorship is utterly biased and targeted at specific topics and members. Its something that everyone should be aware of.

This is the point that seems to be alluding many folks.


Bottom line. The Admins can't delete this. Mulder said it before and it also bears repeating.

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Great post!!! I am just kinda hopeing that you are wrong on the topic and particular people being targeted. That is why I put my last comment in on the ADMIN's Thread. If she pulled the other for being inappropriate then hers needs to be pulled as well. We shall see what happens.

michelle said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes and for playing along
hugs
michelle

Claudette said...

Amen Sister! Great words that you have spoken. I agree with you 100%. Thanks for putting your comments somewhere where they can't be deleted unless you decide to do so.

Claudette

cricut expression owner said...

It is funny I just saw this because earlier I saw a post on that board about a stupid song game and 1 about molesting AND one about that crowd overseas being crashed into by a car overseas. And I thought--WHO CARES! I go there for cricut info only and not to play a silly juvenile song game. I am new to the board and stumbled onto it after purchasing a cricut on ebay. So I kept my mouth shut but thought --oh no it's hopefully not going to be one of those silly boards where posters come on and tell you to pray for their neighbor because she has a toothache and crap like that. Sorry this is so long but I myself hope the cricut board sticks to CRICUT stuff and not every item one reads in the paper. GEESH thanks for letting me get that off my chest. But I agree---what goes for ONE goes for ALL! If I were you and being targeted I'd be P Offed too!!! Shame on them--it keeps up I will go elsewhere.