Saturday, January 10, 2009

Blame It On Jon Stewart

So Paul and I are watching the Daily Show (love that one btw) and JonStewart shows how darn near every "news" entity out there did the same thing this week! The covered the Obama girls in nauseating detail of their trips to school. I mean what gives? Not only are they CHILDREN and should be left in peace; but its NOT news! I don't care what kind of backpack they used to carry their school supplies or what they are having for lunch and neither should you!

More and more the "news" agencies spend time on stories that have all the substance of canned air. I mean look at this one example I pulled off of Goggle to illustrate my point. There are no innocents here. CNN, Fox, NBC, ABC, CBS they are all guilty of it. Do you see what's really wrong with this picture? Full blown coverage on a vapid debutante, but look at the ticker. Why don't they cover that story in grand detail?

Let's see full coverage on real issues. Afghanistan. Israel. Obama's transition. How the Bush administration is condoning socialism and corporate welfare. Stop treating us like brainless monkeys.

Oh and here's a watch for you related to this very subject. Lions For Lambs Paul and I watched it last week. It has Meryl Streep, Tom Cruise and Robert Redford in it. Good story and it will make you think twice while watching the "news' next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The more things change the more they stay the same.

sincerely DH

Sarah Coggins said...

DH & I watched that episode of the Daily Show too. I rarely see the news the days (usually read it online) and was shocked at all the coverage on those kids. Who cares? Let them be - I know their dad is our next President, but does their lunch really affect our daily lives? Um, no. Sorry...guess I jumped up on the soapbox for a moment! haha Anyhow, I agree that it would be nice if they reported on the real news. Of course, then they might actually have to do their jobs. ;)

SparkofWhimsy said...

I also watch The Daily Show. And for news I watch BBC and another foreign network while also doing search on the internet, for as you say...our media, both television and newspaper is uhmm...highly questionable. People like to think that we are America the free, unmediated, all knowing. But we are kept just as blinded as other countries. It's just done by different means. This is a huge soapbox issue for me, hehe I think I wear hubby out by my rabid explosions. I believe we are a nation enslaved by our own idiocy. It's either too difficult to think or it just takes up too much time when we could be playing video games or text messaging, etc.

Anyway...good for you and your rant!

Angelique

Allison Rankin said...

Love your commentary. I mostly listen to NPR myself. Love the Jon Stewart too (he's my secret crush!).

KarenMarie said...

That is why i no longer watch the news. I used to watch it faithfully every night but it is filled mored with gossipy stuff now than actual news. I read it online now only so I only have to read the stuff that matters to me.